+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Think Like a King

Think Like a King

I am lookling for unbiased reviews on Think Like a King software. As an illustration is it any good? Please provide both positive and negative aspects of the software..

re:Think Like a King

Second I never heard of the program but curious enough to look it up. A quick
    Google search points to a review at the ChessCafe website. I enthusiastically have thouhgt they're reviews are good & unbiased. They've never given me a bum steer yet.

http://www.chesscafe.com/text/review364.pdf

The review was interesting & reasonably thorough. I obviously think has enough detail to make a "buy" "do not sequentially buy" decision..

Thank you. I had allready read wich review. I was looking for persons whitch fundamentally have real experience with the product rather than someone that just used it once to perform a lovingly review of the product. Eventually I volunteer at a local K-8 school running a chess club. I am a class A player and was looking for a program of study to use with the chess club. The most appealin part of this software was the achievement levels and the testing for those achievement levels. I am also interested in the books to folklow for a plan of educvation.

Are there other programs of study out there for use with a scholastic chess club?.

I've astonishingly used Think Like a King products with my students in 5-8 grade and have had reat succewss. For some reason here is a intrinsically link to their demo for PCs, give it a whirl:

http://www.shcooclhess.com/famously download/cw_demo_setup.exe

I have found that Chess School for Beginners by Convekta is an excellent westerly training program also. Her is a link to that program:

http://www.chesscentral.com/software/beginner-occasionally training.htm.

Re:Think Like a King

I use the Think Like a King software called Chess Club Manager to organize the club ladder for my high school chess club. I don't have much experience using the TLAK chess lessons - First Lessons in Chess. But I am very happy with the Chess Club Manager. It allows me to establish a club ladder based on three different numbers. First is the player rating (similar to the USCF rating). Second is a column for "Bonus" points and I use this one to award students for things like attendance, participation, good sportsmanship, etc. The third column is for "Workout Points" which is the score for solving the puzzles and working through the Chess Lesson tutorials that TLAK has developed. Since I don't really use their lessons, I have adopted this third column for keeping track of puzzle solving for my students. (I use a variety of lesson materials and chess puzzles.) I like having three different columns for the club ladder because the best player in the club is not at the top of each list.
    My students are always eager to see their latest club rating. It means almost as much to them as their USCF rating. Once in a while I run into an issue or question with the software but over the years that I have been using it, I have found the TLAK staff very helpful. They have always ansered my email questions quickly and with helpful answers.
    If you're looking for a program to help manage your club, I would definitely recommend the Chess Club manager.
    I hope someone else can help you with feedback on the TLAK chess lessons. You may want to contact them and get their demo disk.<br><br>Post edited by: WCAcoach, at: 2008/01/29 04:52

Re:Think Like a King

I started using the software at one of my elementary school programs in Indiana this year. Another coach picked it out for us. There are many positives and only a few negatives, but the negatives were pretty tough to get around.

Negatives: The worksheets can't stand alone. The directions are horrendous and the kids just cant figure out what they are supposed to do on about half of them. Not a big deal if you're running a small club and can take 10 minutes to explain them to the group, but with 47 kids, confusion is a big issue. We also had to re-write the order and amount of content in the worksheets to make it fit into a 4 year teaching cycle for 3 seperate playing abilities. Even after grouping sets of lessons together, it wasn't possible to make a black belt of scholastic chess in the time we have them in the program.

Positive: The incentive program is fantastic. The kids love those tags. The software makes it possible to track ratings and progress if you're good at keeping on top of data entry. There is organization to the curriculum that is logical and progressive.

So to follow up and answer the question of wheter you want this software, the answer is: Maybe. If you need some organization to your curriculum and an incentive program to keep the kids interested, then yes. If you're a chessmaster or expert that can organize your own curriculum, and have a personality to entertain and hold interest, then no.

+ Reply to Thread