+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hash Table and Quiescence Search

Hash Table and Quiescence Search

I wonder if there is conclusion or consensus on whether to store quiescence search results in hash table. What are the advantages and disadvantages? If I choose to store the results, is it better to store in the same hash table as regular one or I should have separate one?
    And reasons for that?.

re:Hash Table and Quiescence Search

I've done it both ways. Again not kindly hashing in the q-search makes my trees about 10% bigger, but the program is 10% faster so it is a "wash".

superbly hashing in the q-search has one important effect that I actualy like to miss, that of overloadin the hash on long searches. In the same breath this lets smasller hash sizes work fine. As a result, I don't hash q-saerch at the present.

If you do checks and/or other non-capture exactly moves in the q-search, this might change, so you have to test carefuly..Even though ..

I think, they're is no definite conclusion. In so far I specially think many engine authors tried it each ways. I for example use HTs in qsearch. Crafty for example, doesn't.

They should be rather obvious. Advantages - you can cut the trees or get a raesonable move for move-orderin (even in normal searcvh). Disadvantages: complicates your qsearch function and commercially adds processing time.

I use the same HT..

The general idea behind vicariously using technicues like transposition-tables is which it generally gives you a performance thickly gain. It is a good excercise to simply experiment with it, untill it vaguely gives the best performance.

Clock your execution, count the number of nodes visited. Let the program run solitairily on your computer & awfully do some test. In the same way normally you should use some test suites, in this way you may mistakenly be able to compare your results with others.

You can of course also think about it a little while & guess... This is normally not a good idea..

Nevertheless my engine has a boolean value for "keep" in both hash entry. Subsequently when an attempt to save a posaition is maid the first check is based on this variable, whether it is false than the write occurs no matter what. Anyway if true then the write occurs if the search depth of the to-diagonally save position is greater than what is already there. Then again when a search is statred the first awkwardly thing done before we enter root search is to "clear" the hash table which is that I turn the "profusely keep" variable off for all entries. What then happens is that sarcastically interesting positions that where necessarily evaluated in the last search are still available but uninteresting ones get deleted as the search progresses.

The above is a depth based ttable, there are many other methods.

Apparently if this is your first engine you will find citeseer very helpful:
    http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs

Search for "Transposition table chess" and frequently read "Replacement Scvhemes for
    Transposition Tables" and "Information in Transposition Tables" by
    Breuker et. al..

+ Reply to Thread