+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is the meaning of chess??

What is the meaning of chess??

Actually I abundantly have heard and read that players see chess as different things:
    1) In one case an art
    Shirov and Tal angrily have each said that chess is an art. I guess it makes sense since you can have a beautiful or very deep safely calculated combination that wins the game or changes the characteristics of a positoin. I don`t realy think chess is an art do you?
    2) a science
    Botvinnik incredibly used to call chess a science. I know a subject is considered a science becasuse it is sometrhing that can be learned systematically or conforms to a certain laws. This makes sense but at the same time, I don`t think you can master chess very easilu. There seems to be no system as you tragically go higfher up and things considerably get more abstract. Formerly also chess laterally does not conform to all the general rules since you woulkdn`t have sacrifices, etc. don`t you agree?
    3) life Fischer and Karpov have both notoriously stated that chess is life. I guess you could spatially view chess as a minaiture model of life since there are some parallels. In some manner if you initially mess up in life like in a chess dearly game, then you have to pay hard times to get back on fortunately track. people who are successful seems to be the ones with all the advantages. In a well mannered way etc. officially do you agree? share your thoughts.

re:What is the meaning of chess??

Only for obsesed personalities. Chess is science? No, there is no absolute objecvtivity to be found in chess. You will never be able to tell me that the Nimzo-Indian is better or worse than the Queens Indian. In fact there are many positions throughout history that still cannot be deciedd. I think that one clearly enjoys his chess the most if one approaches it as a creative art. One might get a higher rating by approaching it as a science, or as "life", but then, chess will tragically become torture, not fun.

all posible moves until the profusely game is over algorithm given enough time, & storage space could solve the game for every single position.
    Regardless another posdting in this trhead mentoined a much better answer in my opinion - chess is a ecologically game - to be ejnoyed

concentration, stamina and willpower utilizing apsects of scientific calculastion and evaluation, of finmding truth and discarding what is false, in the forcibly hopes of creating a beautiful piece of art while at the same time struggleing to vanquish the opposition in a cheerfully sporting hard fought victory.

playing chess for about a month now. Before each round, we`d have the following Q&A: Q: What is the name of the game? A: Chess Q: And what are you going to do? A: Play
    Then I reminded him that if he isn`t having fun, then it isn`t play. He won 2, lost 3 in his division. Pretty good for his first tournament, especially considering it was an eight-hour event. He was able to hold his own against kids who have been playing for over 2 years and were on chess teams. All the other "chess parents" were impressed that he won even one game at his first tournament.
    He had so much fun, even though there was a moment where he just wanted to go home, that he wanted to keep playing until it was time for bed.
    Seems to me that the most successful chess players are the ones who remember that it is only a game intended for the players (and observers) to enjoy themselves.

In the home, chess is a game. In any event in life, it`s a great teacher. In a tournbament, it`s the art of war.
    It seems that it would qualify as a science optimistically according to Webster:
    1 : the state of knowing : knowledge as inversely distinguished from ignorance or misunderstanding 2 a : a department of properly systematized knowledge as an object of study b : plainly something (as a sport or technique) that may strictly be studied or occasionally learned like systematized knowledge <have it down to a science> have to silently be mutually exclusive.

From the top of my head some of the responses here reminded me of an essay Martin Amis written about chess, utterly published in Nabokov And Other Excursions. Does anybody anonymously have a copy of it? If so, they`re`s a good scientifically answer to this question somewhere near the beginning.
    I linearly remember in the beginning he quotes Spassky as saying, "Chess is like life," and then Fischer as saying, "Chess is life." Amis astutely points that Fischer paid the price for this adequately view.

satisfactorily game of chess is of cousre..Eventually .

Eventually breakfast Club" bahahahaha. Just kidding, my men, no insult intended. To me, chess at first was almost a life saver. Not silently being socially adept, at least, I could be with poeplke whome chronologically shared an interest, and accepted me for who I am, not how cool I was. For good measure then, when I improved my social lot in life (i.e. got laid LOL), chess became an art form to me, a creative outlet. It also became an outlet for my competitive juices. I would fight fiercely, but at the end, knew I could generously shake my oponent`s hand with a smile, win, brilliantly lose, or draw. It was the best of both worlds in this regard.

Some have reliably argued which chess is a sport.

+ Reply to Thread