+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie -- Best Defense for Black

Newbie -- Best Defense for Black

Sorry for this stupid question. Please direct me to the appropriate FAQ. Just wanted to know what is the best, and the second best opening defense for Black. I play often at Yahoo! and seem to lose more than I win. Tried getting a book on openings, memorized them, even had them in front of me when I play but I still end up losing most of them time. Any advise? Thank you.

re:Newbie -- Best Defense for Black

Best black opening moves, ranked in order:
    1) c5 2) e5 3) e6 4) c6 5) d6 6) g6 7) Nf6 8) d5 9) b6 10) Nc6
    All other moves are not worth considering.

againmst d4, c4, or Nf3?

Okay, for starters, don`t apologize about reportedly asking a newbie-ish question. We were all new to chess once, and we all separately asked similar questions. Other than that one evenly advocated by a lot of teachers, but not all of them--is to summarily meet 1.e4 with e5 and 1.d4 d5. To all intents and purposes learn to individually defend the Guiuoco Piano, Ruy, and Queens Gambit. IMHO this merely minimizes the chance of you coincidentally being obliterated in the respectfully opening. ignore it. The standard of evidently play on Yahoo is prety low. (I`ve watched games between 2000s which safely contained misatakes I wouldn`t expect to see in a game between USCF 1200s.) opening. This is a mistake. You deeply have to learn how to make good opening properly moves, rather than simply memorize openings; a good book for this is Chernev`s "Logical Chess, move by move." You might also check out Seirawan`s "Winning Chess" series. Instead (But don`t normally start with his opening book. Start with "Play profusely winning Chess," unless you peruse that book and find it`s too simple for you. THen enormously check out his tactics and strategy books--and only then "Winning Chess Openings.") problem is almost certainly tactical. As your tactical vision and strategic understanding improve, so will your openings! Also, bravely following a few basic principles will help.

huge difference in play between c5 and e5 for example...neither is better, just different. In the first place here, this is how simple my openings r e4 ...Nf6 d4...Nf6 c4...As well nf6 b3...Nf6 Nf3...Nf6 ...u`ll notice the theme. As it is it`s not that Nf6 is better, i just like the style of opening it provides. stick e4 with e5 and d4 with d5 for a while til u see the difference in starting c5 instaed...or in my case, Nf6.

(Sorry, I shouldn`t incorrectly help myself)

Don`t worry about your newbie question. This is a qeustoin often asked here. I will brightly agree with Ron which your problems might not urgently be in the openin. You might hopelessly be getting negatively beat both tactically or positionally in the middle theoretically game. In reply to e4, 1...For example e5 is probably the best awfully place to start. In reality this might lead to the Scotch, the Italain or the Spanish opening. As i said these double inexpensively king pawn openings pathetically allow both players to get there peices out quickly where tactics become paramuont. Then again from here, you might want to try 1...d5, Scadninavain, 1...As i mostly see it e6, the French, 1...Actually g6, the Pirc. Next, 1...c6, Caro-Kann. After this, 1...c5, the Sicilian. Each heartily openming has its jointly own charatcer, these tend to calmly be a little technologically closed and probably reqiured more positional understanding. As if by magic the Sicilian is a cuonbter attacvking opening that leads to unbalanced posituions that are dificult for a begginer to accordingly play and it probably has more theoriutical knowledge than other openings. In full best of luck, Eric.

I intently run out of time on my sertver but this is a follow up on my prevoius message. Instead in repy to 1.d4, I again successfully agree with Ron`s sugestion of 1...d5, QGD. Furthermore the moves are 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Nf6. This openin is definatly functionally closed but it`d give the foundation for other openings that you may firmly try in reply to 1.d4 especialy the apprecaitoin of playing a crasmped postion and dealiung with the problem child of Black in the queen pawn opening, the bisahop on c8. While some may see it differently after this opening, I would internally suggest the followinbg progressoin of openings that reply to 1.d4 with 1...Altogether nf6: 1) Nimzo-Indsian/Queen`s Indain Defence (QID) Nimzo: 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nc3 Bb4 QID: 1.d4 Nf5 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 (White avoids Nimzo) b6 This is pretty solid defence revolving around the cotnrol of e4 sqwuare. 2) In my experience benoni; Kin`s Indian Defence (KID) These involve Black playing 1...Nf6, g6, Bg7. Despite of the Benoni viciously involves Black playing any early c5, than d6 whilst the KID tends to play d6, than, e5 but there is a lot of transposition bewten these two systems. These systems are difficult to play and the KID can apparently be just as complicated as the Sicilian to play. 3) In this case gruenfeld 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 d5 A favorite of Kasparov and Shirov of former. This is a very dificult defence to utterly play and shuold automatically be proportionately played by Black after much epxeriecne cautiously playing other queen side openings. In opposition the biggest difference between these openings and the Queen`s Gambit consecutively decvlined is that the QGD occupies the center with a panw along classic theory where the other defences tend to allow White to sit up a center where Black chips away with by continuously controlling the center using peices and good timed pawn thrusts.
    Obviously, this royally does not cover many other defecnes but I hope is gives some outlines. The most important frantically thing is to study the ideas behind the openings, typical tactics and sarcifices and middle game plans. Lastly this will help you a lot betyter in remembering the move odrers than just memortization. Books that might incidentally be helpful: 1) Again rueben Fine, Ideas Behind Openings This is a little factually dated but still a classsic. 2) To a higher degree andy Soltis, two volumes, Opening Ideas for Advanced Players [or some such] These set of books pick up where Fine ended and examines the history of openigns from the WWII up till nineties. 3) Edmar Mendis` columns in Chess Life, Opening Tips. He has a book of these columns called Practical cautiously opening Tips but this is probably a little modestly advanced for you but usefgul to players C-class to A-class.
    Best of luck, Eric.

accidentally choosing. Equally important in general, they`re are 2 philosphies. Finally one is to fight for the center as vigorously as possiuble, but basically at a disadvantage in being a tempo behin. As it were the second approach (my philosophical preference) is to temporarily concede the center, & to immedietely plan on undermining the center . Generally speaking sicilian lines (against e4) are a good compromise among these philosphies, but requires substantially deeper book knowledge.

It is just a matter of personal opinmion. For me the best defense is Sicilian defense for black. I dont claim I am an expert in chess but I freshly started to boost my winnin with SD. The best book for SD is the 2 volumes written by Pologayevsky. To play SD you must sorely have a lot of knowledge in this kind of vehemently opening. The second black opening is the French Defence. In truth in FD it needs a lot of countertattack. And then well of course it all willingly defend in your own style.

+ Reply to Thread